I don’t own any skirts in my wardrobe. I gave the few I did have to a charity shop, when I had a big clear out before moving homes.
The design of this skirt is very nice - the pleats go all the way round, and the side pleat half hides the side seams and in-seam pockets.
The adjustments I made were:
- added 2 inches at the hem
- added 1/4 inch to the side seam of the front and back skirt pieces
- added 1/4 inch to the side seam of the back waistband
- added 1/4 to both sides seams of the front waistband
- left out the bottom band
I didn’t think until I started working on this pattern - that the pleats would be a bit tricky to keep even, as I needed to alter the waist width to fit me. I worked out from the size chart and the finished garment measurements that there was 1.5 inch of ease at the waist. I worked out that I needed an extra inch at the waist. Dividing this by 4 - I would need an extra 1/4 at each of the side seams.
But, the waist ended up too big. I think the construction & adjustment I made at the stitching line for the side pleats probably contributed to the error.
Anyway, I fixed it by adjusting the back seam where the zip is. I wasn’t happy with the way I’d inserted the zip first time, so I didn’t mind unpicking it, and fixing the sizing at the same time. It means my skirt back doesn’t have even sized pleats at the zip seam, but it looks ok.
The fabric is a cotton poplin. The light weight of this fabric works well with the pleats. It would get a bit bulky otherwise - as the pleats are quite wide. My fabric was not wide enough, so I had to cut on the crosswise grain - which was fine.
It’s good to have more separates and a nice summer basic. What’s extra nice is that this skirt ticks two of my sewing goals in one - make a skirt & something in emerald green.