This is the first dress I’ve made that’s suitable for the autumn/winter season. I actually started planning this in the summer when I got the August 2012 edition of BurdaStyle magazine. I really liked the bodice - the pleats at the neckline and the long sleeves which has two darts at the top and is flared at the sleeve hem. The dress has a pencil skirt which is very elegant looking, but I decided against making it and went for a flared skirt instead. I don’t think pencil skirts look good on me, and I have to run for the train!
The adjustments I made were:
- moved the apex of the front darts
- the centre front seam is slightly curved (imagine a princess seam). I reduced the curve (by about 1-1.5 cms at it’s highest) to make it a bit more shallow & blended it to the neck and waist
- increased the bodice at the waist and blended it to the armhole
- increased the skirt at the waist to match the bodice
- lengthened the skirt by a couple of inches
The needlecord is lovely to touch and has good body. But for the hem - to reduce bulk, I used bias binding to finish it off. The dress is quite formal looking, so I chose a yellow gingham bias binding to give it some ‘pop’ and to make it a bit fun as well. (Even if I’m the only one who knows it’s there.)
This dress will be worn over the holidays - to celebrate another year (nearly) over & looking with hope to the next.