- pattern: variation from the book Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross (borrowed from local library),
- fabric: needlecord (scrap left over from previous make), cotton print for lining,
- notions: stiff interfacing, zip
I added 1cm to the main body, top and the side panel pieces. The top panel piece I also made more rectangular. I seem to have made a mistake with the main body piece - so it was a bit shorter than I had wanted. The straps are about 33mm wide.
The fabric is needlecord which was left over from my Celebrate dress. The floral print cotton was a freebie that I got in my goody bag from Rachel’s meetup. I used it for the bag lining and the underside of the bag straps. I used stiff interfacing to give the bag body, so it retains it’s shape and isn’t floppy.
The construction of this bag is quite clever, especially the zip in the top panel. All the seams are finished as you go along. It’s a bit hard to explain, but if you look at the illustrations in the book - you will get a good idea. I decided to stitch the bag together from the outside, so I had to be extra neat (a bit like top-stitching). I think it turned out ok - it gives the bag seams a nice boxy shape.
This bag is quite roomy and I’m going to use it as a handbag. I’m glad that I could use up scraps and also found a use for the free floral fabric.