My last dressing gown was really old and in a terrible state. So, making a new one has been on my list for a while.
I wasn’t sure what type of fabric to make it in. I looked at cotton, jersey, and satin. The pattern needed something with drape. I came across this viscose (rayon) in a local fabric shop. It has a lovely drape. I like the print - it’s very cheerful - lots of roses, tiger lillies and daises. It has the look of vintage wallpaper or soft furnishings - a nice cosy feel and very feminine.
The viscose is quite slippery, not as much as silk, but not as stable as cotton. I pinned a lot to keep everything in place.
I didn’t attempt any fitting as there was plenty of ease. I just cut a size 10 with no alternations.
The changes I did make were:
- I left out the pockets as I didn’t think it was necessary.
- I used a lace trim that is much narrower than suggested.
- I sewed the sleeve band differently from the instructions. I think if you are using a plain colour fabric - their method would be ok. But, with a busy print and a lace trim - I decided to keep my seams on the inside (and not use bias binding on the outside as suggested). I used the straight edge of the lace to finish the inside of the sleeve band seams.
I normally use fabric scraps, self-fabric, muslin or voile for interfacing. But, I thought I’d try some shop bought synthetic sew-in interfacing for the collar. But, I don’t like how it feels when I touch the collar, and it inhibits the drape and fold of the shawl collar. It’s the one thing I’d change, in retrospect.
I really like this dressing gown. It looks very pretty and the floral print gives it a nice vintage feel.